We are pleased to introduce the new smart residential air conditioner series by Hitachi named airHome, equipped with a variety of smart and intuitive functions that will help users maintain a comfortable indoor environment while improving indoor air quality (IAQ) as well as saving energy. The first model of the airHome series will first be available throughout Europe, starting in France this April, and later becoming available in Asia*.
airHome’s technology is designed to seamlessly accommodate you (the user) and your lifestyle, saving you the stress of finding the right system in an ever-growing market while sustaining performance year after year and proactively managing your living space’s indoor air quality. Taking a closer look at the airHome, it comes equipped with the FrostWash™ function to keep the heat exchanger in a cleaner condition, providing a more comfortable indoor environment. FrostWashTM is an automatic self-cleaning feature that freezes the heat exchanger down to -15°C to trap pollutants and dust in ice, which then melts to flush them away. This leaves the unit cleaner and dramatically reduces the possibility of pollutants being spread from the AC unit across the room.
Tests have shown that systems with FrostWash™ are three times better at maintaining airflow performance than those without this technology With this technology, users can enjoy the benefits of airHome with easy maintenance.
airHome 400 Series
The airHome series is the air conditioner for people who do not want to think about air conditioners but just want to live in harmony with all possible features and advantages. The following features will be available depending on the series:
- airHome’s Smart Eco function, which detects the human presence and absence and adjusts the operation to decrease energy waste.
- FrostWash™, which cleans the heat exchanger to prevent a reduction in air flow for better performance and in indoor air quality.
- Customers can comfortably set their room to a cooler temperature while sleeping knowing that SleepSense will detect their sleep and automatically adjust the temperature to prevent the room from getting too cold which contributes to sleep quality.
- Customers can also rely on the airCloud Home smartphone app to set up location awareness and temperature profiles to detect when users are on their way home to automatically adjust the temperature before their arrival.
- airHome is equipped with up to four different air purification technologies against pollutants, viruses, allergens, bacteria, and odors depending on the model. Users can rely on airHome’s purification technologies in its 99.9% control of SARS-CoV-2[i], up to 99.0% control on bacteria[ii], up to 86.0% control on odors[iii], and up to 97.1% control on allergens[iv]. While switched off, airHome’s mold guard function automatically blows air through internal components to prevent the build-up of odor-causing molds.
- Safeguard system preventing extreme weather conditions and unreliable power source, contributing to longer product life.
- Installer’s will also benefit from the new airHome series’ improved features for installation. All new service menus for each servicing are provided through the remote control.
“At Johnson Controls-Hitachi Air Conditioning, we want our products to conveniently fit the lifestyles of our customers, so we launched the airHome series, a smart yet easy and low maintenance air conditioner that is much needed in an increasing market of smart electronics. airHome is our first step into our growth as a lifestyle brand, and we are excited to continue creating smart products that can meet the demands of today’s market and more.”
- Nick Reynolds, vice president and chief marketing officer
*Product features will vary depending on country, region and model.
 Two identical units were tested for comparison; with and without FrostWashTM. Test chamber simulated approx. 2 years of dust and oil build up which may be experienced in a typical home environment. Airflow performance was tested before and after being in the chamber. Unit without FrostWashTM experienced an 18% drop in airflow performance. Unit with FrostWashTM experienced only a 6% performance drop. Tested at Johnson Controls-Hitachi Tochigi factory, Japan. In actual use, these benefits will vary depending on room size, room usage, outdoor temperature and humidity, and other usage conditions. Test results cannot be applied to all actual use environments.
[i] An air conditioner is not a replacement for any COVID control measure recommended by governments or medical professionals. Claim refers to the effect of AQtiv-Ion (optional on some models) which showed 99.9% reduction in COVID virus particles under lab conditions tested at Nara Medical University, Japan. ViroSense Z1 filter shows 99.9% of effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 NIID isolated variant: JPN/TY/WK-521 and 99.0% effectiveness against Influenza A Virus (H3N2) tested at Japan Textile Product Quality and Technology Center using ISO18184:2019 method. FrostWashTM technology also showed 99.0% reduction of virus particles on the heat exchanger tested at Kitasato Research Center of Environmental Science. The results are measured in a test environment and are not guaranteed to be inhibitory in a real environment. Inhibition of all viruses, bacteria, odors, and allergens is not guaranteed.
[ii] Claim refers to the effect of ViroSense (optional on some models) which showed 99.0% reduction of Staphylococcus aureus NBRC12732 and Escherichia coli NBRC3301 bacteria particles under lab conditions tested at Nissenken Quality Evaluation Center Japan, and also FrostWashTM technology which showed 99% reduction of bacteria on the heat exchanger tested at Kitasato Research Center of Environmental Science Japan, and AQtiv-Ion (optional on some models) which showed 99.0% reduction in E.Coli particles tested at Boken Quality Evaluation Institute Japan following JIS Z 2801 standard. The results are measured in a test environment and are not guaranteed to be inhibitory in a real environment. Inhibition of all viruses, bacteria, odors, and allergens is not guaranteed.
[iii] Claim refers to the effect of AQtiv-Ion (optional on some models) on various odors including 86.0% reduction in formaldehyde, tested at Kinki Bunseki Center Japan. The results are measured in a test environment and are not guaranteed to be inhibitory in a real environment. Inhibition of all viruses, bacteria, odors, and allergens is not guaranteed.
[iv] Claim refers to the effect of AQtiv-Ion (optional on some models) on various allergens including Cedar allergens (97.1% reduction) tested at the Institute of Tokyo Environmental Allergy Japan. The results are measured in a test environment and are not guaranteed to be inhibitory in a real environment. Inhibition of all viruses, bacteria, odors, and allergens is not guaranteed.
Johnson Controls-Hitachi Air Conditioning